17 July 2012

NerdKit: OMG CNC MACHINING

CNC: Computer Numerically Controlled.
Or, in layman's terms: Robotic. 

I've had the pleasure of using a CNC mill for the first time to make a new mold prototype for the NerdKit I am so diligently working on at my job this summer. And it's one of the coolest things I've ever used in my life. 



This prototype combines many aspects that are closer to the final product: a CNC milled mold, a caselike structure, an insert for compartments and such, a flush hinge, and better designed snapfit invagination/exphallation fasteners.


Also, I've figured out a trick in Solidworks to quickly "prototype" a mold without having to go through the Mold Tools. If you model a mold you can use the Shell feature on the part, which normally removed material from inside your part. If you choose "shell outward", you effectively form the part using a specified thickness material. Then you can "take it to a bandsaw" by cutting away excess "material" and...


...Voila! Much simpler than those gurshdurned mold tools. 

There's a handy Solidworks extension called HSMWorks Express which is the free 2.5-Dimensional cousin to the full 3-D CAM program HSMWorks. While machining in X and Y along a certain Z is all I need for this mold, 3D milling is nice for smooth curvatures and fillets. Unfortunately, I have to take into account the limitations of Express in my designs for CNC. 


But it doesn't come out so bad!

Someday I'll do some 5-axis CNC milling...


Engineer daydreams...



Here is some of that High Density Polyurethane I will be using as a stock material, mounted onto the Bridgeport EZ Track CNC mill.




Once I've localized the mill at the stock's origin, I'm ready to rip...







It even gives you an option to call for a tool change halfway through machining, so I can switch out the flat endmill for a ball endmill and touch it off before it cuts the hinge channel in the center. 



Can you see the resemblance?


And the next day it's off to the vacuum former! I drilled dozens of tiny holes along the hinge, edges, and invaginations to ensure the plastic truly takes the shape of the mold. 


I was sure to add plenty of this special non-stick spray to make the removal of the mold from our cheap plastic easier. 


Because of the small scale, I had issues with the material webbing along the hinge, but I managed to get one good part.


The insert my coworker made from a CNC mold fits perfectly.


The live hinge works pretty well, too! We'll have to test the design with the type of plastic we're using for the final product, however. 

Next, we make a full-scale prototype!

10 comments:

  1. Are you looking for Best CNC machining? Contact us for quality and cost effective cnc machines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aluminum CNC Machining are widely used in Industries. CNC are computer tied tooling machines and these machines can improve by software.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’d like to thank you for writing on this topic. The information you provided was very useful. I will visit again in the near future.

    custom CNC machining

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m very impressed by your work and will recommend your tips to everyone in my circle so that they can also benefit from this information.

    alumina ceramic machining

    ReplyDelete
  6. I truly appreciate your wonderful contribution. I’d like to read more from your blog site.


    glass cnc machining

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing this blog with us. It provides a big collection of useful information. Great effort you put into it. A wonderful take.
    ceramic machining services

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Blog, there is so much reality written in this content and everything is something which is very hard to be argued. Top notch blog having excellent content. Aluminum CNC machining

    ReplyDelete
  9. While CNC machining has been the way to go for decades at this point, replacing many instances of manual labor, 5-axis CNC machining has been revolutionary. It takes the base concept of CNC machining and adds several layers to bring intricate designs to life.
    MD Design and Automation are providing CNC prototyping, Precision machining cnc and manual, Short run machining, cnc machining wisconsin, machining, EDM Machining,4 and 5 axis machining and electrical discharge machining at their facilities in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete